Tuesday, February 14, 2017

How My OTTB's Have Been So Influential

How My OTTB's Have Been So Influential


Boots, 9 year old OTTB

Before I get into how my thoroughbreds have changed, helped, influenced, and rocked my riding, here is a little history. I was about 10 or so, my sister was taking riding lessons that I would frequently tag along to. I never had any interest in horses until my mom asked if I wanted to take a lesson as well. I didn't really think much of it at the time other than it was just something other than chasing the barns peacocks. Fast forward about a year, I attended my first horse show, Western Pleasure, 10 and under. I was riding a lesson horse with my GPA helmet and a flannel shirt. After a couple of local wester shows, my family thought it would be a good idea to purchase a horse for myself. We ended up with Dakota, my first horse. A red dun, quarter horse that was in "training" for barrel racing (imagine ~10 year old me, trying to get this horse to do wester pleasure). After a couple months, we figured western was not our calling. One day, my trainer Wendy caught me paying more attention to the jumpers in the other ring instead of my millionth or so western lesson. Wendy made the executive decision to throw me in one of the jump lessons the following week. I have never looked back since and Dakota and I went on to win multiple horse trails and even the 2011 Coconino Challenge for Beginner Novice.

2011 Coconino Summer Three Day 2: Alex Pavone won Novice CC and I won Beg. Novice CC

In November of 2010, after months of looking for a horse, my trainer Tavia brought home an adorable thoroughbred mare that had a reverse-question-mark-looking stripe on her face. She had been off the track for a little while, but not too long. I immediately fell in love. I named her Sadie (don't ask me why, I couldn't tell you). After a couple months, Sadie and I grew into each other a bit. She taught me how to keep my cool when I was out in the 110 degree weather trying to make this hot head run through a dressage test. And I taught her a little bit about how to handle an 12 year old boy that was still learning how to ride. She was my partner for many shows and although we never achieved any top placings, her and I conquered many demons and won by our books. Sadie is now retired on a farm in Missouri with my moms “second mom” and the person who taught her an amazing love for horses (Margie). They love to explore trails together and I could not be happier given how much they love and take care of each other.


Sadie and I at Three Day Ranch Horse Trials 2012

Sadie and her forever Mom, Margie! <3

In November, 2011, I didn't know it at the time, but my parents purchased the horse that would teach me almost everything I know now. Her name was Too Fancy for My Boots and we pulled her off the track as a three year old. She is the half sister of my sister's amazing thoroughbred, Sampson. Because of Sam, we could not pass her up. Her show name is now B'Ambitious and she is 9 years old. She took me to my first preliminary, my first elimination, my first championship winning, and so much more. There is a lot to be said for the heart of these OTTB's and Boots is no exception. Although she has a huge personality and little bit (a lot!!) of attitude sometimes, she is all I could have ever asked for in a horse. She has taught me never to tighten her girth too much, never lean down at a jump, never change her tack before a show, and even to never just turn her out before dressage day. She has taught to always keep my calm in the dressage ring, always give her a treat when she thinks she deserves them, always bring hind wraps to shows since she refuses to keep them on in the trailer, and most importantly to always be humber and never take her for granted. We have learned so much about each other as well as the sport of eventing throughout the six years we have been together and I hope that we continue to grow and learn each and every day. 

Boots' first ride off the track in 2011

Boots at Copper Meadows in 2016

I feel like there are thousands of people around the world with stories similar to mine. My sister has had many thoroughbreds throughout the years, each one with their own personality but the same heart and drive to do what they love. Thoroughbreds are a special breed that take over the hearts of their owners. I know that I will always appreciate the drive and the heart that each of the thoroughbreds that my sister or I have had. 


No comments:

Post a Comment