Monday, October 24, 2016

The Support System Behind Eventing




The Support System Behind Eventing


When I think about where I have ended up in the world of eventing and my riding career thus far, I can't help but think about all of the supporters, friends, and families I have met along the way. The amount support that I have received from my family is unimaginable, but my support system goes well beyond my immediate family. Eventing is a sport that would not function without the support of others. Support comes in many forms, whether it's from your coach that has pushed you to be the best rider you can be, your teammates that are cheering for you when you cross the finish line, the other riders wishing you a good ride in warm up, or the organizers that always want to see everyone succeed. 

For as long as I can remember, my teammates have been like family. I ride with Equistar School of Riding at 12th Street Ranch in Desert Hills, Arizona. Equistar has given me life-long friends, a couple of fantastic coaches, and an extended family that I wouldn't trade for the world. The support that has come from every member of the Equistar family has been overwhelming. I remember at my first horse trials back in 2010, one of the upper-level riders from Equistar helped me get to my first dressage test in one piece. Any question that I asked (and there were many) was answered, any help that I needed was graciously given. I am happy to be that person these days for all of the little kids heading to their first shows. 



"Thanks for helping her learn the course last night, Nick Madsen! #NickMadsen #BofBNextTopRider" Photo courtesy Sherry Pickering
Over the past 8 years, I have been lucky enough to have a fantastic coach and friend. Tavia Wolcott, owner of 12th Street Ranch and Equistar, has not only been one of my biggest supporters, but also a friend that has always had my best interests in mind. We have shared many highs and many lows, but no matter what Tavia pushes me to be the best rider I can be. The support that she has willingly given me and every member of Equistar is truly inspirational. 

Tavia and I at The Area X Preliminary Championships, Las Cruces 2015

The amazing thing about eventing is that the support doesn't stop there. Eventing as a sport is a tight-knit community where everyone wants to see each other succeed. Yes, there is some sort of competition involved just like any sport, however the desire for everyone in the competition to do well and finish safe and sound is unlike other sports. I think that is the reason I choose to stay in the world of eventing. No matter how disastrous or amazing someones ride was, they will still cheer others on to do well. I love walking through warm up and wishing people good rides and hearing it back. It really shows a sense of community and support that is very unique to eventing. 

Amanda Gnatek (Tucson AZ) and I talking after awards at Coconino Horse Trials

Some of the best memories that I have so far in my eventing career come from running a long format three day. I have completed two, the novice three day and the training three day at Coconino Horse Trials. Long format three days really show the amount of support that is needed and given in the sport. There are so many aspects to a long format show that it takes more than one or two people to finish. My first three day, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. However, with the help of my coach, fellow teammates, organizers, and other coaches it was one of the best experiences of my life. I remember that there was a clinic before the show that was put on by Jeffray Ryding and Tom Angle of Goose Downs. They helped me, along with other first-time long format riders, with every aspect of the three day from pacing ourselves on roads and tracks to what we need in the vet box and even how to make our horse most comfortable after the endurance phase to be successful in show jumping the next day. Without their guidance and support, I would not have finished the show that weekend, nor would I have been prepared for the Training three day the following year. 

There are MANY more people who have supported me through the years that I am truly grateful for. You can find support around every corner in the eventing world which makes it a unique sport that I am proud to be apart of. 






No comments:

Post a Comment